WESTEDGE DESIGN FAIR CELEBRATES ITS FIFTH YEAR AT
SANTA MONICA’S BARKER HANGAR
Featuring 150+ Exhibitors, WestEdge Design Fair Announces DIEM: Talks Design, Record-Breaking Exhibitor Participation, and a Samsonite-sponsored Street Art Auction during the Opening Night Party Benefitting Los Angeles Ronald McDonald House
(Santa Monica, CA) – August 21, 2017 – WestEdge Design Fair, the West Coast’s premier contemporary design fair, featuring a highly-curated selection of domestic and international manufacturers and independent designers and makers, returns to Santa Monica’s Barker Hanger (October 19-22, 2017). Commemorating its fifth year, the LA-based fair has much to celebrate, including an increase in international exhibitors, new programming partners, and a surge in independent designers and makers in the highly-anticipated MADE:MODERN section.
Launched in 2013, the annual WestEdge Design Fair has seen steady growth including a 95% increase in exhibitors and a 110% rise in attendees since its inaugural year. This fall, the fair will bring together more than 150 brands from across the globe to the quintessential Southern California indoor/outdoor setting of Santa Monica’s Barker Hangar. The event will welcome more than 12,000 designers and design enthusiasts to meet and shop top-tier design brands in categories including furniture and lighting, kitchen and bath and more. Additionally, attendees will enjoy live-demonstrations, design talks and panel discussions, meet-and-greets and book signings with notable design influencers.
“LA has seen extraordinary growth within the design, architecture, art, fashion and culinary industries over the past 10 years and the desire for great design is only increasing.” says co-founder, Troy Hanson. “There is no denying that LA is now the focus of attention within these categories for the trade, press and design-savvy consumers and we’re fortunate to drive the conversation forward through all that WestEdge offers.”
More than 40 new exhibitors will join the fair in 2017, highlighted by brands such as Koncept, Foscarini, M2L, Neutra Furniture Collection by VS America, Croft House, PELLE, Brizo, TRUE Residential, Monogram, Fyrn, Juniper House (which represents the globe’s leading exterior furnishings brand) and dozens more.
“We’re proud to see the level of participation grow year over year, and the fact that more organizations and companies want to be a part of WestEdge is a testament to our longevity in LA and the broader West Coast market” said co-founder, Megan Reilly. “Our ability to support, both established brands and emerging brands as they build and grow their businesses is what makes us most proud as we celebrate our fifth year in 2017.”
NEW FOR 2017:
- Opening Night Party (Thursday, October 19; 7-10pm) – For the second year, the Opening Night Party will benefit Los Angeles Ronald McDonald House. WestEdge is teaming up with Samsonite, the worldwide leader in travel luggage and accessories, and 20 street artists to create one-of-a-kind luggage pieces and travel packages which will be on auction throughout the fair. All proceeds will benefit the charity and party guests will have the opportunity to preview and shop the fair before it opens on Friday.
- DIEM: TALKS DESIGN (Friday, October 20) – Curated by KCRW’s Frances Anderton and writer and designer, Mallery Roberts Morgan, and presented in partnership with Architectural Digest, LALA, and the West Hollywood Design District, this one-day symposium will explore the theme: “EVERYTHING IS DISRUPTED”. Retail is being automated; political leadership is chaotic; and the Los Angeles skyline is transforming before our eyes. Every which way, we are in a state of massive change. Today’s thought leaders will discuss these challenges — and the opportunities they present.
- DIFFAxThrive – WestEdge Design Fair welcomes DIFFA: Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS and the Thrive Tribe Foundation to celebrate and support their work to help individuals impacted by HIV/AIDS. This year’s event will feature DIFFAxThrive, a one-of-a-kind auction of customized wine buckets created by two-dozen artists and designers for sale at WestEdge. The auction will culminate at a reception on Saturday, October 21st from 4-6pm.
- MILK STAND POP-UP – This year’s edition of WestEdge will offer attendees the chance to purchase unique contemporary design items at “Milk Stand”, an on-site pop-up store presented by Design Milk. Products will include home accessories, architecture-inspired jewelry, and more, all available in a cash and carry environment.
DESIGN TALKS & EVENTS –
WestEdge Theater – Returning in 2017, the fair’s theater offers attendees the opportunity to hear from leading names in the design industry on a variety of topics with educational panels and seminars throughout the weekend.
- MADE:MODERN – Presented by Design Milk, this sought-after section at WestEdge is one of the fastest-growing feature-areas of the fair. MADE:MODERN is dedicated to highlighting talented independent designers and makers of contemporary furniture, lighting and more. The exhibitors in MADE:MODERN will present work for both the residential and commercial sectors. Exhibitors this year include Fyrn, John Sheppard, Jason Mizrahi, Katy Skelton, Croft House, Siemon + Salazar, Studio Endo, Bend and dozens more. Attendees have the chance to meet the designers firsthand and learn about their craft and inspiration. All items will be available for purchase and makers will also be accepting custom orders on-site.
- Interior Lounge – This year’s Interior Lounge is sponsored by Foscarini (lighting), Bolon (carpet) and the Botanicals Wallpaper Collection by Resource Furniture (wall coverings). This centrally located, high-design space will serve as the fair’s main interior lounge and bar, providing attendees the opportunity to take a break during the event to network and socialize.
- Outdoor Lounge – This year’s popular Outdoor Lounge is sponsored by Juniper House, Southern California’s pre-eminent representative of the most coveted outdoor furnishings brands in the world. In addition, Juniper House is collaborating with V Starr Interiors, the design firm led by American tennis star Venus Williams, to design the space. Presented in partnership with The Wall Street Journal, the Outdoor Lounge is a must-visit while at the fair. Here, guests will be able to enjoy a respite from the fair floor with cocktails, gaming tables and outdoor grilling demonstrations— all under the California sunshine.
- Culinary Pavilion – WestEdge continues to highlight culinary programming, and will again host chef demonstrations and tastings in an official Culinary Pavilion. Attendees will learn about the latest appliance innovations, and enjoy a schedule of daily demonstrations and samplings by leading chefs and culinary personalities.
2017 WestEdge Design Fair Sponsors
WestEdge 2017 sponsors include Bolon, Citibank, Ferguson, Foscarini, Juniper House, Resource Furniture, Samsonite, Snyder Diamond, and Wallpaper Direct.
Media partners include: Architectural Digest, Architectural Record, CA Home + Design, California Homes, Convo By Design, Dering Hall, Design Milk, DesignGuide, Fabrik. Form, Gray Magazine, Image People, Installation, Interiors, KCRW, LA Home, LA Weekly, LALA, Landscape Architecture Magazine, Luxury Pools, Metropolis, Modern Luxury Interiors California, Ocean Home Magazine, Orange Coast Magazine, Southbay Home, The Architects Newspaper, The Retail Observer, The Wall Street Journal, Westside DIGS and Venu.
WHAT: WestEdge Design Fair
WHEN: October 19-22, 2017
- Thursday, October 19 – Media Preview
- Thursday, October 19 – Opening Night Party, 7:00-10:00 p.m.
- Friday, October 20 – 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. – please note that Friday programs cater to the design trade with the DIEM Talks Design Symposium
- Saturday, October 21 – 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Sunday, October 22 – 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
WHERE: The Barker Hangar, 3021 Airport Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90405
(Parking: $10 cash only)
TICKETS: On-Site Admission
- $25 general admission – Registration for qualified design trade, design students and press is complimentary with pre-registration by October 6.
Advance Purchase Tickets (includes a one-year digital subscription to Architectural Digest)
- $20 one-day pass
- $45 run-of-show pass – Pass valid for general admission Friday-Sunday (including the trade preview day on Friday) with return visits.
Opening Night Party (Benefiting Los Angeles Ronald McDonald House)
- Thursday, October 19 – 7:00-10:00 p.m.
$95 ticket includes cocktails, passed hors d’ouevres, silent auction, pass to return to WestEdge Friday-Sunday and a one-year digital subscription to Architectural Digest.
For more information and ticketing, visit www.westedgedesignfair.com.
About WestEdge Design Fair
WestEdge is a three-day event that offers the best in modern design, all in an environment designed to engage, entertain and inspire. The fair offers the opportunity to shop from premium home furnishings brands – many new to the West Coast and meet the designers behind thousands of inspiring products. In addition, attendees gain insight from leading names in the design industry with a full series of educational programs and special events. For more information visit, www.westedgedesignfair.com.